Academic year 2021/2022
- Course ID
- BIO0155A Pds 307-DDD
- Prof.ssa Désirée Deandreis (Lecturer)
- Degree course
- [0101M21] Molecular Biotechnology
- 1st year
- Teaching period
- To be defined
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- MED/36 - diagnostica per immagini e radioterapia
- Formal authority
- Type of examination
- Type of learning unit
- Modular course
- IN VIVO DIAGNOSTICS (BIO0155 Pds 307-DDD)
Sommario del corso
• To provide basic and advanced knowledge concepts in Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, applied both to basic science and clinical practice.
• To introduce the current and potential application of the different radiopharmaceuticals, applied both for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. Namely, will be introduced the pre-clinical and clinical appliation of radio-ligand therapy in different cancer phenotypes.
• To introduce the concept of translational imaging ("from bench to the bedside").
Results of learning outcomes
• Knowledge and applicability of different radiopharmaceuticals related to clinical oncology, neurology, basic science and cardiology.
• Completing the course, students should have learned the princiapl indications regarding different hybrid diagnostic techniques (PET/CT, PET/MRI, SPECT/CT) and be able to understand the potential clinical application and the usefulness in pre-clinical practice.
- Basic concepts of clinical application of PET and SPECT imaging in medicine.
- Overview about technical aspects of PET and SPECT tomographs.
- Overview about a pre-clinical (laboratory) and clinical (hospital) facilities for nuclear medicine and molecular imaging.
- Synthesis and Production of PET radiopharmaceuticals using a Gallium-68 Generator
- Synthesis and Production of PET radiopharmaceuticals using a cyclotron facility
- PET radiopharmaceuticals for imaging glucose metablosim
- PET radiopharmaceuticals for imaging different cancer phenotypes
- Clinical and Pre-clinical application of PET imaging in Endocrinology
- Clinical and Pre-clinical application of PET imaging in Neurology and degenerative disorders
- Clinical and Pre-clinical application of SPECT in Cardiology
- Clinical and Pre-clinical application of PET and SPECT imaging for investigating Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Theranostics approach in Neuroendocring Tumors trough the identification of the somatostatin receptors.
- Novel radiopharmaceuticals for PET imaging in prostate cancer (PSMA, choline, fluciclovine).
- Diagnostic application of inhibitor of the Fibroblast Activating Protein (FAPi) in PET imaging.
- Role of PET imaging in Hypoxia
- Clinical and preclinical application of PET imaging for evaluating the response to therapy in oncology, with a dedicated focus on Immunotherapy
- Theranostics approach for investigating the Gastrin Release Peptide Receptor (GRPR or Bombesin)
- Design and concept of Novel Radiopharmaceuticals: how does it work?
40 hours, formal lectures.
Learning assessment methods
Suggested readings and bibliography
Students will receive lecturer presentations together with support material, including scientific review or original articles and/or book chapters specific for each lecture.
Le modalità di svolgimento dell'attività didattica potranno subire variazioni in base alle limitazioni imposte dalla crisi sanitaria in corso. In ogni caso è assicurata la modalità a distanza per tutto l'anno accademico