Image and Signal Analysis I
Analisi delle Immagini e dei Segnali I
Academic year 2020/2021
- Course ID
- Prof. Ferdinando Di Cunto
- Degree course
- [0101M21] Molecular Biotechnology
- 2nd year
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- BIO/11 - biologia molecolare
- Formal authority
- Type of examination
- Written and oral (optional)
Sommario del corso
The objective of this course will be to address the biological and technological problems of microscopy analysis, with particular emphasis on the analysis of living tissues and cells. The course will then analyze the techological features of the most advaced microscopy techniques, underscoring the interrelationships with the moste advanced image analysis techniques.
Results of learning outcomes
Students are expected to acquire advanced theroetical understanding of advanced microscopy techniques, as well as a good knowledge of their application spectrum.
Frontal lessons and guided seminars
Learning assessment methods
The seminars and ad-hoc questioning will be used to monitor learning during the course.
Practical session with image-J image analysis software
- Basic concepts of microscopy.
- Problems of in vivo cell and tissue imaging: phototoxicity
- General concepts of advanced microscopy: pushing microscopy to its limits
- Confocal microscopy, conventional and spinning disk.
- TIRF microscopy.
- Light-sheet microscopy.
- Multiphoton microscopy.
- Analysis of gene expression via image analysis techniques.
- High content microscopy, analysis of mitosis.
- Tracking of cells and cell structures.
- Analysis of molecular dynamics through microscopy.
- 3D analysis of complex biological structures.
- Super-resolution microscopy.
- Optical manipulation of physiological systems: optogenetics
- Practical session with image-J image analysis software
Suggested textbooks and readings
Optical Imaging and Microscopy
Techniques and Advanced Systems
Editors: Török, Peter, Kao, Fu-Jen (Springer)